September 17, 2008

Fine...

I will write something. I figure it is about time.

These are the things I'm involved in:

Intro to Global Studies.
So far in this class we read and discussed how coca-cola is not always the nicest company. Apparently, in Plachimada they stole everyone's groundwater, in India they sold soft drinks full of pesticides, and in Cambodia they were ignoring the frequent murders of Union leaders at their company. Another thing we are exploring is representation, and how when we learn about other cultures, we are also learning something about the motives and biases of the author reporting on those other cultures.

History of the Middle East.
We've learned about Islamic law, and how it is composed of four different codes. The first is the Quran, and then there is the Life of the Prophet, followed by analogy to either of these, and finally common practice. So something is Fatwa, permissable, if it is determined to be so by any of these four sources.

German Women Writers.
We read Ruth Kluger's Still Alive (oder, Weiter Leben). It was superb. Because she is writing about her experience during the Holocaust decades after the end of the war, she achieves some distance from what happened and is able to analyze how different things she lived through impacted her over the rest of her life. She also offers interesting comments on the modern "museum culture" of concentration camps.

German Literature.
We're reading Hoffman, and will soon be reading Kleist. Since they're the best ever you should learn German and read them too. The story we are working on now is about a man in a coffeeplace having imaginary conversations in his head, when all of the sudden he is joined by a composer who died twenty years ago. And the question is whether this other man is one of the characters in his head or if he really did speak with him.

Women and the Arts.
So far, we have been "politicizing the gaze." I think that means analyzing the inherent relationships in looking at things. For example, when you look at a picture, it's worth considering the motivations of the person who created the picture, the feelings of the subject, the effect of it's current location (like a museum, or living room wall), why it was put there, what the owner thinks about the picture, and why you react to it the way you do. Is that clear? I'm not entirely clear on it yet and I don't have my notes.

Hillel.
I'm on the board. Ooh la la. I'm supposed to attend things, and plan an event. So far I've been to a board meeting, a general meeting, two shabbats, and a coffee talk. And my event is pretty much on track...Girl's Night Out at Cupcake ladies, Thursday, September 25 at 7:30. Everyone who's anyone will be there, so you should be too. Basically, things so far are going well. (ps- if you are Jewish, and have not yet participated in Birthright, GO TO ISREAL FOR FREE.)

Mamonides.
My paid Jewish Culture Class starts tonight. My friend is in it! That will be cool. I'll let you know how it goes.

Job 1 - Secretary.
Still working as an office assistant in the African American and African Studies Department. It's good, I do a little work and a lot of facebooking.

Job 2 - Vickies.
My first shift at Victoria's Secret Uptown was last weekend! It went well, and I got a free perfume and ten dollar ivory ipex with lace. Retail is kinda dumb, but I like these perks.

My House!
Annie and I are still together, but this time I have my own room. And Abby, Britney, and Derrick live with us now too. Nobody does the dishes. Seriously guys, do the dishes. Anyways, my bathroom is colorful, my room is almost clean, Sophie likes having a carpet to run on, and things are pretty much good.

Other.
I have friends, and a boyfriend, and have been doing art projects (a skirt, a scarf, some jewlery) instead of homework. I have not been reading and this is crappy, and the fault of homework. And then I'm also deciding who to vote for.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that you wrote about your life because i dont get to talk to you nearly enough.

Jessica Alter said...

I miss youuuuu

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are super fuckin' busy.

I love that your bunny hops around your house. Also, all your classes which don't involve German sound SUPER interesting.

joe said...

great job hacking palin's email anonymous. also, it's great to hear about what you're up to jessi

Jessi Lynch said...

sarah palin and i are besties. she says once she gets elecected i can be secretary of defense. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/us/politics/14palin.html?bl&ex=1221624000&en=afcd714ae3b553ae&ei=5087%0A